Skip to main content

Addison Township Public Library

A Brief Overview

 

HISTORY OF ADDISON TOWNSHIP PUBLIC LIBRARY

 

February 1978

The Addison Township Public Library began with over 700 books in the back room of the Addison Township offices at 3 E. Elmwood, Leonard, Michigan.  The library was open 23 hours a week with 2 part-time employees.   It operated on monies reimbursed from the Oxford Library (3/10 mill).  Judy Doublestein was the director.

October 1981

The library moved to 1440 Rochester Rd, Lakeville, Michigan.  It was located in the old kindergarten room of the original Lakeville Elementary.  There were over 7000 volumes and 4 part-time employees.

August 1984

The Addison Township Board of Trustees officially establish “The Addison Township Public Library” and appointed the charter members to the Addison Township Public Library Board.  A Special Millage request of ¾ mill was approved to fund the library.  The library joins the Wayne-Oakland Library Federation (WOLF) during the summer of 1985.   In 1994, WOLF became The Library Network (TLN).

1988

Computerized catalog with 13,000 items

May 1992

The Friends of the Addison Township Public Library formed

January 1998

Michelle Presley became Director

2000

The collection surpassed 25,000 items

2006

3.8 acres of property on Rochester Road was donated to the library.

May 2011

Jaema Berman became Director

October 2011

Opened at the current location at 1400 Rochester Road

November 2014

Operating millage request for .2 mill approved. Thank you. 

July 2022

Rosie Walker became the current Director

By Laura Johnson 2022

Upcoming Events