Skip to main content

Addison Township Public Library

History

  • A Brief Overview

     

    HISTORY OF ADDISON TOWNSHIP PUBLIC LIBRARY

     

    February 1978

    The Addison Township Public Library began with over 700 books in the back room of the Addison Township offices at 3 E. Elmwood, Leonard, Michigan.  The library was open 23 hours a week with 2 part-time employees.   It operated on monies reimbursed from the Oxford Library (3/10 mill).  Judy Doublestein was the director.

    October 1981

    The library moved to 1440 Rochester Rd, Lakeville, Michigan.  It was located in the old kindergarten room of the original Lakeville Elementary.  There were over 7000 volumes and 4 part-time employees.

    August 1984

    The Addison Township Board of Trustees officially establish “The Addison Township Public Library” and appointed the charter members to the Addison Township Public Library Board.  A Special Millage request of ¾ mill was approved to fund the library.  The library joins the Wayne-Oakland Library Federation (WOLF) during the summer of 1985.   In 1994, WOLF became The Library Network (TLN).

    1988

    Computerized catalog with 13,000 items

    May 1992

    The Friends of the Addison Township Public Library formed

    January 1998

    Michelle Presley became Director

    2000

    The collection surpassed 25,000 items

    2006

    3.8 acres of property on Rochester Road was donated to the library.

    May 2011

    Jaema Berman became Director

    October 2011

    Opened at the current location at 1400 Rochester Road

    November 2014

    Operating millage request for .2 mill approved. Thank you. 

    July 2022

    Rosie Walker became the current Director

    By Laura Johnson 2022

  • Upcoming Events